Subject Title : Dance
Faculty : Expressive Arts Level : 3
Examination Board / website : AQA
Assessment Details : Mostly controlled practical assessment, with a written exam paper.
Course Outline :
This course is designed to encourage candidates to:
- think critically about Dance as an art form
- develop their knowledge for the study of Dance in Higher Education
- experience performance and choreography
- lead a healthy lifestyle.
At AS Level, this specification focuses on the development and performance of the candidate's own choreography and performance within a duo/trio. Candidates receive training on technique and the health and safety of the dancer. They begin to develop critical skills for the analysis of choreography and performance within their own work and in professional repertoire:
- Unit 1: Understanding Dance (written paper, 40%) (20% of A Level)
- Unit 2: Choreography and Performance (Practical coursework 60%) (30% A Level)
At A2, candidates develop skills and extend and apply knowledge gained at AS level. The focus of choreography is shifted towards group dance. Candidates develop knowledge and understanding of a specific area of study related to the development of one of the following: modern dance, ballet, jazz dance. Performance skills will be developed in relation to a specific practitioner.
Candidates continue to receive instruction on technique and the health and safety of the dancer:
- Unit 3: Dance Appreciation: Content and Context (Written Paper 25%)
- Unit 4: Group Choreography and Solo Performance (Practical Exam 25%)
Entry Requirements (including prior qualification requirements – e.g a GCSE in this subject at minimum B grade) :
GCSE/BTEC Dance is desirable. Experience of Dance in a private institution would also be significant.
Skills / Aptitudes required to be successful in this course :
You should be an experienced performer and a creative person with a keen interest in Dance
Goes well with……………..(complementary subjects) :
Other arts subjects, English, Anything
Pathways – Career and /or further study possibilities, using this subject:
Dance degree, working as a freelance artist at a level below your qualification.
For further information, please contact: