AS/A Level GCE in Applied Business (Single Award)
Level: Level 3 in the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).
Examination Board / website: OCR – www.ocr.org.uk
AS – 3 units (2 of these are Coursework, 1 Exam)
A2 – 3 Units (all Coursework)
AS Unit F242: Understanding the Business Environment:
33% of the total AS GCE marks: 1hr 30 minutes written paper
Course Outline: The Advanced GCE is made up of three mandatory units at AS and three further units at A2 (two mandatory and one optional). It aims to provide candidates with a broad introduction to the business sector and encourages candidates to develop skills, knowledge and understanding in realistic business contexts, such as discovering the problems and opportunities faced by local businesses and/or organising an enterprise activity.
The units to be studied are: Level
- AS Unit F240: Creating a marketing proposal
- AS Unit F241: Recruitment in the workplace
- AS Unit F242: Understanding the business environment
- A2 Unit F248: Strategic decision-making
- A2 Unit F249: A business plan for the entrepreneur
- One Optional Unit from F250 – F255
Skills / Aptitudes required to be successful in this course:
- An interest in Business.
- Good personal organisation and time management; willingness to learn and progress.
- Interpersonal skills: working in teams; discussing problems or issues; leading a team.
- Good investigative and research skills.
Pathways – Career and /or further study possibilities, using this subject:
The Advanced Subsidiary GCE and Advanced GCE in Applied Business will equip you with the technical skills, knowledge and understanding, to prepare you for a professional career in Business or related subjects. It is well regarded by universities and there is the opportunity to combine this with an additional A-Level qualification to allow you to progress on to higher education.